top of page

You will require:

1. A Negative Equine Infectious Anemia (EIA) Certificate

Also known as “Coggins.” Have an accredited veterinarian take a blood sample and

send it to a lab for tests. When the tests are negative, a Coggins (or EIA) certificate

will be returned. The document must be completed and signed by your veterinarian

and endorsed by a Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) or a United States

Department of Agriculture (USDA) veterinarian. Talk to your vet about the time frame

needed for this process. The Coggins certificate is valid for 6 months (180 days)

from the date that the blood sample was taken.

2. Health Certificate

The veterinarian will examine your horse, in conjunction with taking the blood

sample. The Coggins test must be negative before a Health Certificate will be

issued. This certificate must be signed by both your vet and a CFIA or USDA

veterinarian. The Health Certificate is valid for 30 days from the date of issue. You

can take your horse across the border as many times as you like within that 30 days.

You also have the choice of marking the health certificate as Permanent or Temporary.

Canada to U.S.

 If you plan on staying longer than 30 days, then the paperwork must be marked Permanent 

and the horse must be inspected at the U.S. border by a USDA veterinarian.

The fee for this is $47.00 USD

Horses can return to Canada accompanied by their Canadian Health papers,

provided that they return within 60 days of the date of entry to the U.S.

Don't be surprised to be asked for copies of bill of sale or other documents to

 prove the horse originated in Canada.

No inspection will be required.

U.S. to Canada

 When a horse comes from the U.S. for permanent stay, it will be

inspected by a Canadian Customs Officer, not a veterinarian.

European horses imported via U.S.

Any horse being imported into Canada that has not been in North America longer than 30 days,

 will need to see a CFIA veterinarian at the port of entry. 

Appointments must be made in advance and the fee is $30.00 CAD plus GST.

3. A Supplementary Declaration or Certification sheet

In order to help control the outbreak and spread of CEM, this new supplementary

declaration will be attached to your Health papers. Part A is for those travelling

across the border for exhibition purpose- training, showing, rodeos, etc. Part B is for

those travelling across the border for breeding purposes. This form is provided by

CFIA when the Federal Vet approves the Health Certificate. A new supplement is

required each time you cross from Canada into the U.S., so ask for as many

supplements as you’re going to need, or make copies. The USDA does not provide

this Supplementary sheet as their Health Certificates include a statement regarding

CEM.   This form is also used as proof of export, so it is very important to keep.

On top of getting your horses paperwork in order, you will be required to broker your horse into the destination country.  There is a fee involved with this and it is not included in your shipping quote. 

While we do as much as the paperwork as possible for you, you will still be required to fill out and sign some customs documents.  Please find below a list of brokers that we work with:

South Bound:

Bosch Custom Brokerage 360 988 0405

North Bound:

A & A custom brokers 604 538 3994

bottom of page